A 2012 study conducted on the energy consumption of commercial buildings found that every year, every square foot of hotel space uses 14 Kilowatt Hours (KWH) and 49 cubic feet of natural gas.
Most of these are spent on heating, cooling, and lighting.
In light of the dwindling fossil fuel reserves and the global call for energy conservation, it might be high time that hotels move towards a greener operation and start with lowering excessive energy consumption. Socially and ecologically, this move lowers the establishment’s carbon footprint and boost its brand’s image in the process – winning the admiration and possibly the business of the growing market of eco-conscious travelers looking for more sustainable hotels.
On top of that, the more obvious and more easily accessible benefit to lowering energy consumption would also make significant cuts on energy costs.
The first step in making large energy-saving measures is identifying where most of the consumption goes. The majority of energy used in a hotel operation goes toward a combination of lighting, ventilation, office equipment, cooling, and refrigeration, which total to 65% of hotels’ energy use. The remaining 35% includes computers, indoor heating, water heating, and cooking.
Here are some ways you can begin your energy cuts:
– Make the most of any natural light that enters your buildings. Turn on lights in hallways facing large windows or those that are equipped with skylights only when absolutely necessary.
– Invest in daylight sensor lights that automatically shut off when light hits.
– Invest in energy-efficient lighting.
– Replace your exit sign lighting with LED to get better results for less energy consumption.
– Invest in smart climate control systems. There are available technologies in this area and the benefits range anywhere from sensors that automatically shut off air conditioning systems when not in use to units that automatically rest when an ideal temperature is reached.
– Do away with excessive heating in corridors, hallways, and even bedrooms.
– Keep your systems in check. Properly working systems help you save energy.
– Shut off equipment when not in use.
– Invest in energy-efficient computers.
– Keep refrigerators, chillers, and freezers in the best possible condition at all times.
– Clean and defrost regularly to get maximum function for less energy use.
– Shut doors as tightly as possible.
– Keep taps and pipes in check and get leaks repaired promptly.
– Invest in faucets that shut off automatically to prevent unnecessary leaks and uses.
– Invest in proper insulation of pipes.
– Pass on the hotel laundry needs to a third-party company that provides green laundry solutions. These measures are engineered to meet high standards of cleanliness while lowering the consumption of hot water and effectively reusing water. Working with a third-party company for hotel laundry services not only lowers your energy costs, but you are also helping contribute to the overall energy conservation efforts of your community.
Saving on energy costs in your hotel operations will prove that in many ways, less can mean more. Invest in better, energy-efficient solutions and find the perfect linen management and maintenance partner like Crown Linen to max out your energy cuts!
To learn more about how we can help your hospitality business become more environmentally sustainable, contact us today.